Assistant Professor at School of Information Technology, University of Cincinnati
Phone: (850) 483-0444
Add me to your network:
Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering, in the
University of Nevada, Reno, NV, USA
Aug 2006 - Aug 2011
M.S. in Computer Science, in the
University of Georgia, Athens, GA, USA
Aug 2003 - Aug 2006
B.E. in Computer Engineering, in the
Sakarya University Sakarya, Turkey
(1998 - 2002)
|8/2016 – ...||Assistant Professor, School of Information Technology, University of Cincinnati|
|8/2012 – 5/2016||Assistant Professor, Computer Science, University of West Florida|
|8/2011 – 6/2012||Term Assistant Professor, Computer Science, University of Alaska Anchorage|
|7/2009 – 7/2011||
Research Assistant, Biology Department, University of Nevada, Reno
Worked with Dr. Guy Hoelzer.
|8/2006 – 5/2009||
Teaching Assistant, Computer Science,
University of Nevada, Reno.
Teaching C++ programming, and grading weekly projects.
|1/2006 – 8/2006||Research Assistant, Computer Science,
University of Georgia, GA, USA
LSDIS (Large Scale Distributed Information Systems) Lab
|1/2004 – 5/2005||Teaching Assistant, Computer Science,
University of Georgia, GA, USA
Database Management Systems, Algorithms, Data Structures, Internet Programming.
- As Assistant Professor
- IT Research Methods
- IT Infrastructure Sustainability
- Advanced Systems Administration
- Advanced Storage Technologies
- Computer Networks
- Algorithms and Data Structures
- Introduction to Java Programming
- Intermediate Java Programming
- Advanced Java Programming
- Algorithm and Programming Design in C
- Complex Networks
- As Teaching Assistant
- C++, Database Management Systems, Data Structures, Algorithms, Internet Programming
Big Data, Data Science, Complex Networks, Social Network Analysis, Semantic Web, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Networks, Underwater Acoustic Sensor Networks, Software Engineering, Cybersecurity, Digital forensics in social networks, Algorithms, Bioinformatics.
- Book Title: Emerging Trends in the Evolution of Service-Oriented and Enterprise Architectures.
Chapter Title: Approaches to the Evolution of SOA Systems. Publisher: Springer-Verlag, Germany. January 2016. [web]
- Manjula B, SunilKumar S Manvi, and Bilal Gonen. Event Driven Energy Depth and Channel Aware Routing for Underwater Acoustic Sensor Networks : Agent Oriented Clustering Based Approach. Computers & Electrical Engineering. Elsevier journal. Impact Factor: 0.817. [pdf], [paper in sciencedirect], [doi], [web].
- A. Canbaz, A. Aksoy, B. Gonen, T. Tuna, E. Akbas, U. Karabiyik, and R. Aygun. User Characterization for Online Social Networks. Social Network Analysis and Mining, Springer. Accepted: 22 October 2016. [PDF] [arxiv]
- Reichherzer, T., Coffey, J., Gonen, B., Gillett, I. (2015). Knowledge Modeling in the Health Care Domain: Capturing Semantics to Bridge the Gap between Complex Data Models and Object Models, In Model-Driven Engineering and Software Development, Springer Verlag. ISBN 978-3-319-27869-8. [web]
- Onur Genc, Bilal Gonen and Mehmet Ardiclioglu. A Comparative Evaluation Of Shear Stress Modeling Based On Machine Learning Methods In Small Streams. Journal of Hydroinformatics, vol.1, pp.1-23, 2015. [web]
- Bilal Gonen, Gurhan Gunduz, Murat Yuksel, Automated network management and configuration using Probabilistic Trans-Algorithmic Search, Computer Networks, Elsevier, Volume 76, 15 January 2015, Pages 275-293, ISSN 1389-1286, [doi], [Paper in sciencedirect.com], [PDF].
- Bilal Gonen, Xingang Fang, Eman El-Sheikh, Sikha Bagui, Norman Wilde and Alfred Zimmermann; Ontological Support for the Evolution of Future Services Oriented Architectures. Transactions on Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence. Volume 2 No 6 Dec, (2014);pp: 77-90. [Journal webpage], [doi], [PDF]
- Gregory Vert, Bilal Gonen, Jayson Brown. A Theoretical Model for Detection of Advanced Persistent Threat in Networks and Systems Using a Finite Angular State Velocity Machine (FAST-VM). International Journal of Computer Science and Application, 2014, 3(2), 63-73. [doi], [Paper on ij-csa.org], [PDF]
- Z.Y. Karatas, E. Aygun, E. Luy, H. Ergin and B. Gonen, Novel Cryptosystems Based on Two Different Mod Values, International Journal of Information Security, Springer, Impact Factor: 0.963. [link] (Under review).
- U. Karabiyik, A. Canbaz, A. Aksoy, T. Tuna, E. Akbas, B. Gonen, and R. Aygun. Social Network Forensics, International Journal of Digital Crime and Forensics, Publisher: IGI Global. (Under review).
Conference and Workshop Papers
- Gregory Vert, Bryce Barrette, and Bilal Gonen. Towards a Mathematical Model for Autonomously Organizing Security Metric Ontologies. The 2016 International Conference on Security and Management (SAM'16), Las Vegas, USA, July 25-28. (Under review). [conference website]
- Bilal Gonen, Kemal Akkaya, and Fatih Senel, Efficient Camera Selection for Maximized Target Coverage in Underwater Acoustic Sensor Networks, The 40th IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN), October 26-29, 2015, Clearwater Beach, Florida, USA. [PDF], [conference website].
- Thomas Reichherzer, John Coffey, Bilal Gonen and Irad Gillett, Knowledge Modeling in the Health Care Domain to Support Software Development & Maintenance, International Conference on Model-Driven Engineering and Software Development, MODELSWARD 2015, Loire Valley, France, 9-11 February, 2015. [conference website].
- Bilal Gonen, Xingang Fang, Eman El-Sheikh, Sikha Bagui, Norman Wilde, Alfred Zimmermann and Ilia Petrov, Maintaining SOA Systems of the Future: How can Ontological Modeling Help?, KEOD, 6th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Ontology Development. Rome, Italy, Oct 21-24, 2014. [PDF]
- Alfred Zimmermann, Bilal Gonen, Rainer Schmidt, Eman El-Sheikh, Sikha Bagui, and Norman Wilde, Adaptable Enterprise Architectures for Software Evolution of SmartLife Ecosystems, Enterprise Distributed Object Computing Conference Workshops and Demonstrations (EDOCW), 2014 IEEE 18th International, Ulm, Germany, September 1-5, 2014 [PDF].
- B. Gonen, M. Yuksel, and S. Louis, Probabilistic Trans-Algorithmic Search for Automated Network Management and Configuration, Proceedings of IEEE GLOBECOM Workshop on Management of Emerging Networks and Services (MENS), pp. 490-495, Miami, FL, December 2010. [ieeexplore], [PDF]
- B. Gonen, M. Yuksel, Network Configuration and Management via Two-Phase Online Optimization, Proceedings of IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM), Houston, TX, December 2011. [ieeexplore], [PDF]
- B. Gonen, G. Hoelzer, Simulation of Spatial Self-Organization in a Stepping Stone Environment, The 2011 International Conference on Modeling, Simulation and Visualization Methods, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, July 2011. [PDF]
- B. Gonen, Genetic Algorithm Finding the Shortest Path in Networks, The 2011 International Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Methods, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, July 2011. [PDF]
- B. Gonen, Traversing Documents by Using Semantic Relationships, The 2011 International Conference on Semantic Web and Web Services, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, July 2011. [PDF]
- B. Gonen, S. Tartir, R. Pavagada, Annotation of Hyperlinks with Semantic Meaning, The 2011 International Conference on Semantic Web and Web Services, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, July 2011. [PDF]
- Brendan Babb and Bilal Gonen, Lowering Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon by Genetic Algorithm, 2013 IEEE 2nd International Workshop on Network Science, West Point, NY, USA, April 2013. [PDF], [ieeexplore], [slides]
- Matt Grimm and Bilal Gonen, Improving Music Artist Recommendations Through Analysis of Influences, 2013 IEEE 2nd International Workshop on Network Science, West Point, NY, USA, April 2013. [PDF], [ieeexplore], [slides]
- Bilal Gonen, Xingang Fang, Eman El-Sheikh, Sikha Bagui, Norman Wilde, Semantic Traversing Documents by Using Semantic Relationships, Workshop on Grand Challenges in Engineering and Applied Sciences, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, May 15-18, 2014. [ppt, pdf]
- $24,982. Role: co-PI. Grant name: Semantic Data Modeling for System & Data Comprehension. Type: Competitive External Grant. This project was funded through the Security and Software Engineering Research Center (S2ERC). The received funds supported new research based on the continuation of previous work with Blue-Cross Blue-Shield Association. The new work focuses on the development of knowledge models that capture semantic information of a healthcare domain in a format that is easy to understand by software developers.
- $15,000. Seed grant by University of West Florida.
- $1,619. Travel grant from College of Science and Engineering at the University of West Florida.
- $2,250. Travel grant from College of Arts and Sciences at the University of West Florida.
- $1,650. Travel grant from University of Alaska for IEEE GLOBECOM 2011.
- $800. Education Grants, Amazon Web Services for my Complex Networks course.
CERTIFICATES AND AWARDS
- Quality Online Instructor Certificate: I took two online training courses offered by UWF Academic Technology Center. The course names are "Designing a Quality Online and Blended Course" and "Teaching a Quality Online Course". Upon completion of these 6-week courses successfully, I received "Quality Online Instructor Certificate". [certificate]
- Quality Matters Peer Reviewer: I took two online training courses offered by UWF Academic Technology Center. The course names are "Independent Applying the QM Rubric course" and "Quality Matters Peer Reviewer Course". Upon completion of these 2-week courses successfully, I became a certified Quality Matters peer reviewer. Quality Matters (QM) is a leader in quality assurance for online education. [certificate-1] [certificate-2]
- My online course, Java Programming, was awarded Quality Matters certification. I submitted the course for internal review in my university. A team of three reviewers reviewed the course. The course has passed the internal review. Then, we submitted it for the official QM review. An external team of three reviewers reviewed the course. My course has received a full score (99 out of 99) and has met all of the 43 QM standards. [internal review certificate ], [external review certificate ]
- Quality Matters Master Reviewer: I took an online course, The Master Reviewer Certification course, which is designed to prepare experienced QM Peer Reviewers to become certified QM Master Reviewers. The Master Reviewer Certification includes a review of Quality Matters, practice critiquing and writing helpful recommendations, a description of the Master Reviewer role and responsibilities, differentiation between QM-Managed and Subscriber-Managed reviews, as well as practice solving problems related to reviews.
Upon successful completion of this certification course, Master Reviewers are noted in the QM database and are called upon to lead reviews. Certified QM Master Reviewers are eligible to serve on both QM-Managed and Subscriber-Managed Reviews.
I have passed the course successfully, and now I am a certified Quality Matters Master Reviewer. Quality Matters (QM) is a leader in quality assurance for online education. Master Reviewer (MR) forms a review team; coordinate the review team's efforts before, during, and after the review; implements the QM course review process; provides guidance to the review team throughout the review and ensures effective recommendations are provided; Ensure that recommendations are constructive, specific, measurable, sensitive and balanced. Coach the review team members as needed. The MR represents QM's principles and policies on the review and, as QM's primary point of contact. [certificate] [web]
- Member of IEEE, ACM, Society for Science & the Public (SSP), Florida Association of International Educators (web)
- Certificate of "Preventing Discrimination and Harassment for Employees" by completing an online course. [certificate]
- Certificate of NIH training course "Protecting Human Research Participants"
- Certificate of Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) online training course provided by University of Alaska.
- Ranked 3, ACM programming contest at University of Nevada, Reno (2008).
Quality Matters (QM) External Course ReviewsQuality Matters (QM) is a leader in quality assurance for online education. Upon completion of 4 courses, I became a certified Quality Matters peer reviewer. [certificate]. I reviewed these courses at other universities;
- CTS2392C Configuring Windows Server 2012 Advanced Services in Polk State College.
- TCN5080 Secure Telecommunication at Florida International University.
- MAN6245 Organizational Behavior at Florida International University.
- CS 215 Discrete Structure for Computer Science at University of Southern Indiana.
- EEL5718 Computer Communication Networks at Florida International University.
- ITN 160, Network Security Basics at Tidewater Community College.
- FAAS5841 Data Analytics at Ohio Northern University.
- SOC200 Introduction to Sociology at Calhoun Community College.
Quality Matters (QM) Internal Course Reviews in My UniversityQuality Matters (QM) is a leader in quality assurance for online education. Upon completion of 4 courses, I became a certified Quality Matters peer reviewer. [certificate] [web] I reviewed these courses in my university;
- COP5775 Database Administration
- CEN 6074 Software Assurance.
- CGS 3604 Applications of Information Technology.
- QM review completed for CTS 2392C Configuring Windows Server 2012 Advanced Services.
- CEN6064 - Software Design
- EDG6285 - Data-Driven Decisions Using Standardized Student Achievement Data.
- MAN3301 - Human Resources Management (My role: Review Team Chair)
- EVR4823 - Environmental Impact Assessment (My role: Review Team Chair)
- Panelist on a National Science Foundation (NSF) Networking Technology and Systems (NeTS) Small Projects panel.
Small Projects - up to $500,000 total budget with durations up to three years. Arlington, Virginia. [CNS], [NeTS]
- National Science Foundation (NSF) and National Center for Women & IT (NCWIT) has accepted my application to attend 2016 CISE/EHR PI and Community Meeting for CS in STEM. This meeting is a centerpiece of NSF efforts to build a community around broadening participation and education efforts in computer science. NSF covers all expenses. Meeting was held at the Gaylord Hotel in National Harbor, Maryland. (February 1-2, 2016) [link]
- I attended the 2015 STEM-CP CE21: Computing Education for the 21st Century PI & Community Meeting. I was invited by The National Center for Women & IT (NCWIT) and the National Science Foundation (NSF) to the meeting with all expenses covered. Meeting was held in Baltimore, MD. (Jan 21-23, 2015). [link]
- I served as a panelist for NSF GRFP (National Science Foundation's Graduate Research Fellowship Program). The Fellowship provides support for research-based masters or doctoral degrees. The American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) assists the NSF in the development of the discipline-based review panels and maintains a database of appropriate professors, researchers in the fields supported by the NSF. Panelists read and evaluate applications in their areas of expertise. I evaluated 28 applications. (Jan 6, 2015) [Thank you letter]
- Served as Subject Matter Expert on Florida Teacher Certification Examination. The Florida Department of Education and Evaluation Systems group of Pearson, the states postsecondary assessment contractor, held a Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE) item writing and development session in Computer Science. The goal of the session is to write test questions for the Computer Science Teacher Certification Examination. I attended several Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE) Computer Science K-12 Item Specifications Finalization Meetings in Orlando. (11-12 Apr 2013, 3-5 May 2013). Stipends received $500 and $750. [link]
- I evaluated the research grant application of a faculty member at Sam Houston State University.
- I volunteered to be a Judge at Annual Middle School Science Fair. The Episcopal Day School of Christ Church Parish has scheduled its annual Middle School Science Fair on Dec 11, 2012. [pdf]
- I am an Associate Editor in Turkish Journal of Engineering, Sciences and Technology. [pdf]
- Editorial Board in JSciMed Central. JSM Computer Science & Engineering is an international, peer reviewed Open Access, academic and high quality journal. [pdf] [web]
- I was invited and served as a panelist for the 2014 National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship's online application evaluation. The invitation came from Department of Defense (DoD) and the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE). As a means of increasing the number of U.S. citizens and nationals trained in science and engineering disciplines of military importance, the Department of Defense (DoD) plans to award approximately 200 new three-year graduate fellowships in April 2014. I evaluated 29 applicants.
- Session Chair, International Conference on Semantic Web and Web Services, Las Vegas, USA, July 2011.
- Session Chair, The 2011 International Conference on e-Learning, e-Business, Enterprise Information Systems, and e-Government, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, July 2011.
Journal and Conference Reviewer
- Journal of Network and Computer Applications (JNCA)
- International Journal on Semantic Web and Information Systems (IJSWIS).
- SITE 2014 conference (Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education)
- Data Communications and Networks Concepts Textbook. Jones & Bartlett Learning Publisher.
- Technical Gazette Journal
- IJSEKE International Journal of Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering.
- SITE 2015 conference, the Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education. Las Vegas, Nevada: March 2 - 6, 2015.
- The Third International Symposium on Women in Computing and Informatics (WCI-2015), Kochi, India, August 10-13, 2015.
- Tourism Management Journal (Elsevier)
Program Committee Member
- TISC 2011 IEEE international conference. (TISC2010 Acceptance Rate: 12%)
- The 2012 International Conference on Grid Computing and Applications
- IEEE-CCNC 2013 (Consumer Communications & Networking Conference)
- The 2nd IEEE/SAE/ACM/IFAC International Conference on Connected Vehicles & Expo (ICCVE 2013), Las Vegas on 2-6 Dec 2013.
- SITE 2014, the 25th annual conference of the Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education. Jacksonville, Florida: March 17-21, 2014
- Third International Symposium on Intelligent Informatics (ISI'14), September 24-27, 2014, Delhi, India
- GSCIT' 2014 (2014 Global Summit on Computer & Information Technology), Sousse, Tunisia, 14-16 June, 2014.
- IEEE/TRB ICCVE 2014 (2014 International Conference on Connected Vehicles & Expo) in Vienna, Austria on 3-7 November 2014.
- ICCAAD 2014 International Conference on Computer Applications & Aided Diagnosis
- SITE 2015, annual conference of the Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education. March 2-6, 2015, in Las Vegas, NV.
- A-BLAZE-2015 (International Conference on Futuristic Trends in Computational Analysis and Knowledge Management).
- The First International Conference on Computing in Mechanical Engineering (ICCME'15), August 10-13, 2015, Kochi, India
- WSCAR' 2015 (2015 World Symposium on Computer Applications & Research).
- 2015 Advanced Research in Material Sciences, Manufacturing, Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering Technology International Conference (AR4MET ' 2015)
- eQeSS 2015 (2015 International Conference on e-Quality & e-Service Sciences). 24-25 Feb, 2015 in Dubai, UAE.
- The Third International Symposium on Women in Computing and Informatics (WCI-2015), Kochi, India, August 10-13, 2015.
Service to University
- I am the chair of College Council of College of Science and Engineering (CSE) at the University of West Florida. There are representatives from 14 departments of the College. We hold meetings every month. We discuss and make decisions on issues at the college level. I was elected for three years. In the first year, I participated several subcommittees in the council, i.e., Curriculum and Planning Committee, Governance Committee. In the Curriculum and Planning Committee, we reviewed Curriculum Change Requests, and approved or rejected them. In my second year, I served as Vice Chair. In the third year, I am serving as the chair for the council. We, as the steering committee, meet with two deans (CSE and College of Health) every month to discuss the decisions made in our meetings, and convey the concerns of faculty members.
- I served as a judge for UWF Student Scholars Symposium in 2013, 2014, and 2015. I was the lead judge in 2015. Each year, I visited around 10-20 projects developed by undergraduate students, listened their research talks, and evaluated them. The Student Scholars Symposium features scholarly and creative works produced through collaboration between UWF students and faculty.   
- I volunteered to conduct the interviews at the President's Scholarship Competition at UWF. There were over 160 high achieving, high school students traveling from all over the state to compete for UWF's most prestigious academic scholarships (14 full ride scholarships and 150 smaller academic scholarships). I interviewed 3 students and evaluated them. (Date: 1/24/2014). [link]
- I served as a lead judge at the 58th Annual West Panhandle Regional Science & Engineering Fair. (1/28/2013). [thanks_letter]
- I was selected as the Lead Judge in Computer Science and Math category in Annual Science & Engineering Fair. I interviewed around 16 students to learn about their projects and graded them. This fair is a partnership of the College of Arts & Sciences and the Science Departments from Escambia and Santa Rosa County School Districts. There were over 200 middle and high school projects. (1/27/2014). [link]
- I was selected as the Lead Judge in Computer Science category in Annual Science & Engineering Fair. I interviewed students to learn about their projects and graded them. This fair is a partnership of the College of Science, Engineering, and Health and the Science Departments from Escambia and Santa Rosa County School Districts. There were middle and high school projects. (1/26/2015). [certificate] [thanks_letter]
- I served in the search committee for a faculty position in Electrical and Computer Engineering department.
Service to Department
- I attended UWF open house in Fall 2012. I informed prospective students and their parents about our department.
- A Ed.D. candidate in our department was conducting a research for his dissertation in my Java programming course. I closely worked with him, gave him ideas on his research. He used my students to collect data from their assignments.
- I am member of around nine committees in the department. We meet periodically as need arises. (Curriculum Committee, Resource Committee, CS Department Undergraduate Program Committee, CS Department Graduate Program Committee, Cyber Security Program Development Team, ABET Assessment Committee, Graduate Admissions Committee)
- I served in the search committee for faculty lines in our department. I participated phone interviews, one-to-one meetings with the faculty candidates during their campus interviews.
- I am the coordinator of lab tutors. I am in charge of hiring new tutors, scheduling the tutors. (2014 - present)
- Advised students about their course selections and future career decisions.
- I served as Search Committee member for Coordinator position for Cybersecurity program in our department. We looked at around 15 applications and discussed the qualifications. We interviewed some of the candidates.
|5/2009 – 8/2010||Software engineer and database admin, PowerDEX Inc., Reno, NV
|5/2008 – 8/2008||Web programmer, Testwave LLC., Reno, NV
Developed a database-driven system in ASP.NET 3.5, MS SQL server
|5/2007 – 8/2007||Web programmer, Yourally Inc., Reno, NV
|7/2001 – 9/2001||Intern, Datateknik Exper,
Computer Production Factory, Istanbul, Turkey.
Served in Production, Assembly Line, Technique Service, Networking Department.
|8/2000 – 10/2000||Intern, Web developer, Channel D Television, Istanbul, Turkey.|
- President, Turkish Student Association at University of Georgia, GA, USA (2004-2006)
Interpreter Volunteer, The INTEL International Science and Engineering Fair (3/2009)
The world's largest international pre-college science competition. 1,600 finalists from nearly 60 countries.
Download CV in PDF